What control over modeling does MARS provide the user?
MARS offers the user extensive control over the model development process. A number of user-defined parameters are available, including:
- selecting variables to have straight line effects – no knots
- specifying a minimum distance between knots
- permitting interactions between select variables only
- permitting interactions only to a specified degree of complexity
- controlling model complexity
Both novice and expert modelers can successfully run MARS by using the default parameters.